Thread: Firangi
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2020, 07:26 PM   #21
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

As mentioned in the original post, and with the nice example of Indian basket hilt sword, there has been a notable absence of Indian swords of late. With that it seems terminology and classification debates always ensue, with the term FIRANGI being one of the key topics.

In this case, we have focused on the blade markings, which resemble the well known 'sickle' (eyelash, hogs back etc.) type which occur often on blades from numerous sources. As I previously mentioned, early writers typically regarded these as having originated in Genoa, while they actually occurred on blades from other North Italian centers as well, and collectively used variations. There were examples which had the name GENOA actually bracketed by the sickle marks, further fueling the classification as Genoan.

In "Armi Bianch Italiene" (Boccia & Coelho), this most important reference is basically a catalogue which presents many weapon examples from various sources and holdings. As noted, many of the examples' markings are variations of the 'sickle' type, and indeed from Venice...without consulting my copy, I believe there were other locations shown with such marks as well.

Mostly, the 'Genoan' attribution I would consider a generally held notion derived from the case of these Genoan ports and stations being the source of many trade blades, which often bore these type markings.

In time artificers in other locations began spuriously copying these marks, most often the dentated arcs typically seen with three dots at each end of the arcs. In East Europe, these often bracketed the FRINGIA term; and these often are seen in variation on Styrian swords, with Solingen also using them to bracket terms such as ANDREA FERARA.

Having noted all of this, and returning to the topic of the classification 'firangi' and assessment of examples in order to warrant such classification, here we are viewing the markings on this blade as one means of doing this.

It is difficult at best to assess a sword blade to determine whether it is European or a native made example by photos, but the excellent entry by Lee using the metallurgic approach is one viable means.

As suggested, with the preponderance of markings on blades, especially trade blades, there is a degree of fallibility in using these as a determining factor for the geographic origin of blade manufacture. However, making observations on the character of a marking offers some insights based on the method of application and execution, content and positioning of such marks.

In many cases of spurious markings, they are often detected as such by superfluous or incongruent other markings which accompany them. The German use of famed Spanish markings accompanied by other marks which would never have been paired, as well as misspellings etc. is one case in point.

I just wanted to add this perspective with regard to methods used in which to assess 'firangi' blade. In one closing point I must remind that the term 'firangi' is just that, a term denoting in general 'foreign' (blade) and used mostly in collectors parlance. It is not a sword 'type' but more accurately describes a swords 'condition' (that is with foreign blade). Though technically it CAN be applied to many sword types (Indian, with foreign blades), it is typically limited to the Hindu basket hilt form.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 6th May 2020 at 08:08 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote