View Single Post
Old 7th July 2013, 07:36 PM   #28
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Somehow, we all have iron-clad patterns, or "geshtalts", of what constitutes a particular type of weapon, be it its ethnic or tribal origin, defined name ( G.C. Stone, thank you! :-) ), age characteristics etc. We get apprehensive when we encounter something that does not seem to fit the agreed-upon pattern. This often leads us to either pronouncing the item a fake, or to our exultation of discovering a new and hitherto unknown example of native weaponry.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17394
Ariel, i believe that in general you are correct, especially when dealing with other weapons around the world. What happens in the keris world is a little bit different however. The keris must be understood as a palace art first. From there it trickled down to the masses. As a palace art a keris should in fact "fit the agreed-upon pattern" of any particular keraton according to the pakem of that day. They did indeed have books filled with acceptable patterns for use during a particular kingdom's reign. Skilled smiths outside of the palace would also attempt as best they could to follow these same pakems to whatever level of success they were able. The people wanted to emulate the royal class in that regard. This is a good part of what allows the classification process known as tangguh that places certain blades to their origins. But as Alan points outs, many blades were also made that fall outside the pakem of the day. I think this happened more often due to ignorance (not fully knowing what the exacting patterns were) than the inventiveness of the smith or the particular tastes of the owner. If you were the Sultan, of course, you might do something outside the generally accepted pakem, but everyone else was looking to follow the tradition from the top, not break from them. Of course they still needed a keris and in cases of village work you got the best you could manage. Maybe you village pandai was highly skilled and well versed in the current pakem, maybe he wasn't. Most of the commoner probably never saw a court keris close enough to know if theirs conformed to the exacting patterns required by pakem or not. But i am with Alan, i like these out of pakem pieces. The problem arises when collectors expect ALL keris to adhere to some particular pakem. But certainly many, if not most do. Mpus could apply their inventiveness only so far when producing a keris for the court though.
David is offline   Reply With Quote