View Single Post
Old 15th May 2023, 08:07 PM   #4
OsobistGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey View Post
I own & have owned a number of this type of keris.

The blade is stylistically Balinese, it does not pre-date 1900.

We do not classify this hilt style as a raksasa hilt style, but rather as a prabu hilt style, specifically Prabu Ratmaja, who was a raksasa king. The object grasped in the right hand is representative of the tirta amerta vessel, a symbol of life & prosperity.

The hilt is not "solid silver", it is a fabricated and embossed shell of silver over pitch or natural resin, possibly with a wooden core. The silver will be found to be a purity of .925, or close to it.

The "gems" in the wewer (hilt ring) will be found to be pastes, ie, glass. This is not considered to be a negative in Balinese keris, the important factor in Balinese keris dress is the overall effect, and the red "gems" do achieve a distinct effect.

The scabbard will test to approximately the same purity as the hilt, and has been constructed in a similar way, ie, a fabricated silver shell over wood.

The quality of workmanship in this keris appears to be of a very superior standard, both in respect of the blade itself & the silver work.

EDIT

I should have mentioned something about this hilt style:- if the figure has fangs, & I have assumed it does, because you have initially called it a raksasa, then we have Ratmaja, but if the figure does not have fangs, then it is Bayu, God of the Winds.

So, nasty bloke with fangs:- Prabu Ratmaja

Friendly sort of bloke without fangs:- Dewa Bayu
Thank you very much for the information!It was very helpful and informative!
OsobistGB is offline   Reply With Quote