View Single Post
Old 7th October 2016, 10:28 PM   #1
Marcus

Default Origins of the Mandinka saber

As I understand, the heyday of the Mandinka was prior to the eighteenth century and today they are spread through many modern African nations. This sword is very recognizable as a "Mandinka saber", but it is unclear to me what kind of warrior tradition the Mandinka have had for the last two hundred years.

How far back does this form go?

What is known about its origin?

Also, I think I am not alone in wondering why this rather stereotyped form does not have a name of its own but is rather just a "Mandinka saber". I found this comment in an old thread:

“I forgot to include previously that I once showed illustrations of one of these Mandinka sabres to a man who was of Fulani descent and from Guinea. He identified this sabre as termed a 'kota' if I recall correctly, claiming that the scabbard was termed 'holga' (= house 'for the sword'). While these distinctly formed sabres do not seem to ever be called by a specific term, only referred to as a 'Mandinka' et al , sword, I have often wondered what they were called locally.”

Based on its condition I would not think it is very old but would be happy for comments/guesses on this as well.

Marcus
Attached Images

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote