View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:55 PM   #10
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Question: have you seen any engraving or ancient document showing Bukharan men with this mace? I think many of these maces so-called bukhara maces are not from Bukhara.
Kubur, this is a very good question.
Unfortunately I have not seen any images Bukharan men with this mace. I know only one document of the late 19th century, which describes a diplomatic reception at the Emir of Bukhara. This document mentions important dignitaries who had richly decorated axes and maces in their hands.
I know for sure that my mace and maces, which are kept in Denmark in private collections and an ethnographic museum, were brought from Bukhara by Danish officer and ethnographer Ole Olufsen in the late 19th century. Most of these maces are decorated in a style typical of Bukhra. These "Danish" maces can be called "standart".
It is logical to assume that maces similar to these "standart Bukhara maces" also originate from Bukhara.

The lack of images of Bukhara men with such maces can hardly be considered a serious argument ... For example, until recently, images of Bukhara men with Bukhara shashka were not known. Only one image - a picture of the artist Vereshchagin. But we know a lot of Bukhara shashkas, both in museums and in private collections.
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote