View Single Post
Old 11th December 2014, 04:06 PM   #1
Spunjer

Question Twistcore Padsumbalin?

Twistcores are still somewhat a mystery to me. in raw form, do they come as rods, then twisted??? i've seen some blades in which one side was twisted while the other side is not.
keep dreaming about this padsumbalin last night so i got up early and decided to clean it. it was covered with red rust; nothing major, pretty much just dusting all around. after scrubbing with 0000 steelwool, the patterns popped up. i run some hot water, and the patterns became more evident. believe it or not, no acid was used to etch this blade; just hot water, then neutralized with paper towel. mineral oil was then applied. that's it.
anyway, on one side i noticed that there was this chain-like pattern on the blade. it's just on one side. would this be a remnant twistcore rod that was added when the blade was made? or is it even something that could be considered as twistcore? on one of the close-up please notice the flaws on some of the patterns. would love to hear the comments of some of the more knowledgeable smiths here. thank you in advance...
Attached Images

Last edited by Spunjer; 11th December 2014 at 06:29 PM.
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote