View Single Post
Old 31st July 2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I would suggest a bit different direction more to the north for this interesting knife, although the feline head and bubris naturally bring to mind Tipu Sultan in the south.
The hafted blade reminds me of the Khyber knife and choora of Afghan regions while the blade is reminiscent of the pesh kabz with its recurve in the blade. The clear absence of armor piercing point and reinforcement of course negate that identification in degree.

For some reason the lined stylized mane and overall effect of the lionhead remind me of the carving skills of the Kalash tribal people, whose remaining numbers are situated in the Chitral Province of Pakistan Northwest Frontier.
These people are of ancestry to the Kafirs, whose lands once known as Kafiristan are now known as Nuristan, and where those there were forced to subjugate to conversion to Islam by Abdur Rahman Khan of Afghanistan in the 1890s. Those who remain on the opposite side of the Durand Line in Pakistan still live remotely and practice thier animist religion. They are excellent carvers, and thier homes and material culture are decorated accordingly.

Though I cannot yet find direct substantiation, it seems that lionhead daggers are known in these general regions in the north, and my inclination is as noted toward the Kalash people of Chitral.

Attached are map showing Chitral region in red (interestingly the people are known as Kalash ala or Red Kalash to Afghans), Kalash metalwork, Abdur Rahman Khan, images of what I believe are repros but reflect the lionhead theme mentioned. The knife shown is the choora from Afghan regions, showing the hafted blade as noted.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 31st July 2010 at 06:40 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote