View Single Post
Old 24th May 2016, 04:33 PM   #9
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
More kaskaras is a good thing!!!
One thing about these is that they are still pretty much traditional accoutrements which are kept proudly by many of the men recalling their heritage.
This may be an older sword, from the period suggested by Ed, and probably Kassalawi, where production was carried on well into the 20th century.
The 'fly' mark, is one we often refer to as 'the enigma' as we still have not conclusively resolved which possible European marking it might represent.
It is known to appear on much earlier blades (Briggs, 1965) which date back to WWI period. According to references once described by Ed some time ago, he indicated the fly was indicative of a warriors prowess, though not certain the exact mark referred to...it would seem this one.

The scribed markings on the blade are quite modern, and probably added in a commemorative sense.
The moons represent the 'lohr' or prayer panels often seen on earlier in the century examples, many from Darfur (Reed, 1987).
The script may or may not be Arabic, out of my range.

The eagle is the emblem of the Democratic Republic of Sudan 1970-85, representing a secretary bird holding a Mahdist type shield, and alluding to the Arab Eagle of Saladin from the 1950s.

Despite the relatively modern inscriptions and that it is a 20th century sword, these North African swords clearly show that the sword still stands as an important icon of heritage in these countries. I recall once being told by a Fur tribesman I knew, that his father always had his sa'if (kaskara) on the wall, and took it down to hold or wear during important events or ceremony.

Jim, The script on the blade is Arabic but is upside down... I think it says Sudan etc ...somewhat like the Arabic wording on the Eagle insignia...
I am interested to hear what members reckon on the fly mark which is similar to a local letter or figure 8 shape.

Perhaps the most remarkable thing about East Africa is that it is joined by an invisible thread to West Africa through its jewellery designs and Talisman as well as its famous trade routes and not least by the tribes; Tuareg and others in that inhospitable landscape... The alphabets are quite similar and the linkages to Roman and Arabic go back to 300 BC. In its system there is Eastern Arabic and Perso-Arabic numerals, and possibly Western digits and Indian Devanagari numbers as well; Arabic letters; Tifinagh and Libyco-Berber characters; and the Islamic Seven Seals (the
ism al-aʿẓ am or Greatest Name).

No wonder we have blind alley situations caused by the trail running to nought and frustration whilst dealing with what was in fact a mythical sort of code...sometimes Talismanic sometimes not...mixed and twisted and occasionally common across Tuareg and Ethiopian frontiers...thousands of miles across.

It occurred to me that since so little was apparent/known about swords of those regions and because of the nomadic way many tribes operate ...and have been forced to relocate ... that another system must be used in combination with sword smithery... Indeed it appears that the word for smith in Hausa was also used for another group of Artesans... Jewellery makers...!!
Thus I encourage a long look by members at;

http://www.academia.edu/7634962/The_...nd_West_Africa

I have to admit that I have read it 3 or 4 times and still find it amazing. It lifts the veil to a degree on the mystery surrounding Tuareg, Hausa and Ethiopian form and seems to allude to the almost magical art of sword making/inscribing/stamping. At times you may find yourself stopping as the technique rings a distant bell and you wonder ''am I reading about Jewellery
or Swords'' ?

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 24th May 2016 at 06:24 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote