Thread: Ear dagger
View Single Post
Old 21st June 2016, 12:58 AM   #15
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I have a hard time telling but if that motif is indeed acid etched, it would certainly seem to place into 19th c.
The cross in the shield while of course simplistic, seems to be an arsenal type mark of Vienna, which would account for its occurrence on polearms.
If it was some sort of guild associated mark, that would explain why it might be on a dagger blade. Daggers were of course personal, not issue type weapons, thus the arsenal suggestion for halberds.

According to Mann (Wallace Coll. pp.374-75) these 'ear' daggers are of early Spanish-Moresque design which reflect even earlier Eastern forms which include the 'Luristan' types and of course yataghan hilts.

These were produced in Italy, mostly Venice, in the 16th century+ and termed 'daga alla Levantina' or 'alla Stradiotta', often by 'Moorish' workers in Venice.
Typical arms interaction between Vienna and Venice would account for the diffusion of course to the north.

I would be inclined to regard this example as possibly 17th c. though would consider the etched design possibly later as noted, but not sure of the antiquity of this process,
As far as pitting and corrosive activity, it seems to me that this kind of light pitting is not unusual for very old weapons, and is commensurate with the static situation of the weapon and such circumstances. If it was on display or static for some time, dust and moisture absorption would be evident on the side most exposed.
Still, again depending on situations, any type of corrosion can accede rather quickly in cases.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote