View Single Post
Old 16th December 2019, 08:12 PM   #19
A. G. Maisey

Paul, may I ask where this Kebo Slurung keris is located?

Do we know who named this keris?

Kebo Slurung/Salurung/Selurung is known, but it seems to be a non-standard form, for instance, Empu Djeno Harumbrojo gives Kebo Selurung quite a different form:-

http://www.kerisattosanaji.com/DHAPU...NGTODJENO.html

scroll down to P.5

I had not heard of Kebo Slurung until comparatively recently, I forget exactly when, but maybe 20 years back. I have never handled a keris that was named as Kebo Slurung. In Solo, when we encounter a keris with an unusually long, plain gandhik it is usually given as Dhapur Dhuwung.

It appears to be very prolific on the Net, but virtually unknown in the modern literature --- I have not yet had time to check old literature.

I do not know the word "slurung", nor its spelling variations, my go-to native speaker of Javanese, who is competent in several dialects, also does not know the word, I cannot find the word in Javanese, Sundanese, Balinese, Kawi, Classical Malay, Old Javanese nor Bahasa Indonesia. I think there is a gunung Slurung some where in East Jawa --- not sure of this, but I think I have heard of it.

I am beginning to wonder exactly where this dhapur name comes from. There is a word in Bahasa Indonesia, a common word, "saluran" which has several applications, it has the sense, or meaning of a gutter/duct/line/conduit/vein so if we consider the pipe-back on this kebo slurung, maybe we can see some sort of relationship, perhaps in some dialect "saluran" has become "salurung", "salurung" then becomes its known variations. This is all guesswork, but it seems to me to be a viable possibility.

If indeed "slurung" comes from "saluran" then this would seem to indicate that it might be a pretty recent name, because "saluran" is in Bahasa Indonesia, the word does not exist in Basa Jawa.

But maybe there is a dialect source.

There is a bit of background here to consider. When I get a chance I'll see if I can find dhapur slurung in any of the old texts that I have.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 16th December 2019 at 09:15 PM.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote