View Single Post
Old 30th January 2020, 06:54 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Hi Rick. That is both a very unusual blade and an unusual sheath. In fact i have never seen anything quite like that sheath. It is quite beautiful and seems to be skillfully constructed.
As to your first question i can say that without a doubt there is specific meaning and symbolism to the patterns on the blade. The real question is not whether there is meaning, but what exactly it is and i am afraid that i cannot say for sure. I can say the in multiple cultures around the world we see this circle with equilateral cross symbol. Generally it is considered a solar symbol in all those cultures and often the cross, with it's 4 points, refer to the 4 directions or sometimes the 4 basic elements. However i cannot say how this specifically translates into Javanese symbolism.
Tortoise shell is not that unusual as a decorative element of sheaths in both Jawa and Bali. I have not seen it arranged like this with two strips down each side though. Generally i see it used as a single front piece down the front of the sheath stem such as it is used in the Madurese sheath attached below. Are the metal fittings here silver? They look like they might be.
This is very unusual for a keris dhapur and nothing i have come across in various pakem before. It's hard to tell, but i think some reshaping may have taken place with this blade. Hopefully someone will come along who might know more about this. In the meantime i believe this might look more correct if you were to turn the hilt 180º.
I look forward to the comments of others on this unusual object.
David is offline   Reply With Quote