View Single Post
Old 7th January 2017, 03:41 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Norman thank you for these photos, what a great sword!!!
To see an old blade like this in what appears to be a privately commissioned Masonic sword is fascinating, as we can wonder under what circumstances this blade was obtained.
In many cases, Masonic swords were fitted with either heirloom or trophy blades, and as officers and members of lodges and groups within the fraternal orders were often military officers, we may presume many were indeed trophies.

While relying mostly on resources on American Masonic regalia, I think this may be a sword intended for a Masonic officer, possibly a commander in the York Rite. The cross pattee is usually associated with the Knights Templar if I understand correctly. The animal figures may be sheep, which align with some of the Christian symbolism in Masonic regalia (research some tie ago and have not found notes).
The trefoil quillon terminals and classic pommel align with variants of Royal Arch type swords, and the white grips usually for commanders.

Mostly speculative on my part, but just using material which might be useful and hope others might fill in or correct as required.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote