View Single Post
Old 15th April 2005, 12:53 PM   #19
tom hyle

Hey, Radu, do you know of any websites of the Chinese manufacturers (other than Chen/Hanwei, who make swords, not fakes)? They may be less open; the "aging" appears to be factory-uniform on many pieces (especially the bronze/brass, for instance). In any event, though I haven't owned any of it, the new Hindoo folded/wootz (that's the stuff that was being referred to, no?) stuff seems pretty nice to me, and is certainly openly made and sold as new by the makers; what a dealer does after that can be another matter, of course. For that matter, a lot of the Chinese stuff looks fairly nice to me, too, but my sister brought me back a "chinese trouse" from China that would've looked fine in an ebay picture, but actually has an epoxy-filled tang-gap between the scales (who knows how long the real tang is?), a plastic sheath, and a blade I fear for. (mind you, a heartfelt gift though) I have just bought a Chinese almost certainly repro. mace from someone in USA who had a pile of Chinese antiques on ebay, looking like the usual fakes, but shipping for $15, instead of $65. I keep telling them to do this; now if only the'd sell 'em shiny and/or call 'em repros......There have been some sellers out of china charging realistic shipping rates, BTW. Still $20 or $30 of course, and the swords weren't $.99, but also $20 and $30. I'd probably rather buy a new Chinese practice sword or farm sword, than one made for the repro./fake market, anyway, but those aren't as readily available over here. I once worked with a person whose take on the whole antique market was that selling real antiques is for fools, and fakes are where the money's at....it was interesting in its own exasperating way.

Last edited by tom hyle; 15th April 2005 at 02:39 PM.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote