View Single Post
Old 24th August 2015, 06:26 PM   #13
rickystl

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Much appreciated.
Viewed from both perspectives, collector or shooter, I might have been better off not purchasing the gun at all. LOL I don't need it for my collection. And I have two other Kubur pistols in shooting order, that are both nice pieces. I just bought it as a possible project gun since it was so cheap. So here's what I'm going to do to start:
1. Put the lock in working order. I can do certain repairs and replacement work. But I can't make new springs, if needed. Forging new springs and making replacement lock parts is a specialty with this gunsmith. And my experience has shown me this won't be nearly as expensive as you would first imagine. At least not with him. And it's likely he has or can locate the ready made parts and fit them to the lock and tune it. Which will cost even less. But he will let me know. A new lockplate screw(s) will be easy.
2. I can restore the wood around the rear of the lock mortise area. But it would be much faster, and look much better if the gunsmith does it.
3. As long as the gun's there, have him remove the breech plug and give me his opinion of the inside of the barrel. If that checks out OK, and doesn't require a liner, than all is well. I'll fire it a few times, and keep it as just a shooter or have something to trade for a lower end Ethno blade or something. LOL
I can always decide to remove that ugly varnish later on myself.
But as Ward says, in either case, collector or shooter, there is eventually a diminishing return. Adding $200-300.00 is one thing. Adding $500.00++ is something different. At least in my view.
Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote