View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2015, 09:35 AM   #10
Ken Maddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
clean the shellac off and send it out the door. By the time you replace parts and do much else, you could have invested in a better piece. It is a relatively common pistol that is worn. Some pieces are worth putting money into some are not.
For me the hobby is bringing these items back to life, enjoying the fun of saving something from the bin.
I also do a lot of the work with my elderly dad so there is a social aspect to doing the work. I know this is a v personal approach but to each their own.

At present I have put 20 hours into a percussion pistol, no money spent but I do not expect to have a 600 euro gun at the end of the process, will I be happy if the work is completed successfully, yes it will be valueable to me
I would welcome such a project gun to my workshop
However I would question the tumbler as it looks very soft metal compared to the sear.
Best of luck with the job, I use di chloro methane as varnish remover, not the nicest of chemicals but v effective and harmless to wood, I am a chemist by trade so have most chemicals readily available along with waste disposal and protective measures at hand
Regards
Ken
Ken Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote