View Single Post
Old 30th April 2014, 02:23 AM   #2
DaveS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
would like to share this talismanic barung ... there's something about moro blades with symbols engraved that somehow interests me. not just the artform, but the mystery behind them. this particular barung is no exception.
on this blade, one thing i found unique is how the symbols are relatively similar on both sides, i mean, almost mirror image. also, some of the symbols are quite unusual; a multiple headed naga and the double headed avian creature, for instance.
the handle looks as if it's been thru a lot! i'm sure the history of this particular barung is very interesting, to say the least.
another unusual aspect is the munsala hanging on the handle. relatively common on kris, and to some extent, kampilans, this is the first time i've seen it on a barung. i'm really surprise it stayed on, considering it's literally hanging on a thread. the material that looks like a bullet slug is unknown. it looks like lead, but it's light. could be a piece of wood, i'm not sure.
lastly, the handle is filled with lead, making it h-e-a-v-y! pretty cool tho, i like it. enjoy!
Spunjer: A really interesting barong. It definitely has all the things that make for a 100 percent desirable moro piece. I traded a barong to Kino a few years ago that had a copper or brass inlaid centipede, can't remember which. The munsala is a first for me also. Never have seen one on a barong. What looks like a bullet or something is probably an anting-anting..........Dave.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote