View Single Post
Old 14th October 2018, 01:45 PM   #9
Sajen

Hello Roland and all other contributors,

no Alan, there is interest like the visits show. I think that Rolands very specific queries could be the reason that not so much people contributed until now.

To the sword, the first I have to say is that Roland did an amazing job by restoring the blade, it was in a more as sad condition.

The idea from Alan that the handle could be not the first one is interesting, while I have seen few similar blades but not one with this handle style when I remember correct. Pedang blades with kembang kacang I know from Java, Sunda and Sumatra, see also this old thread from Charles where he has shown a great variety from pedangs of the Indonesian Archipelago: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=pedang, see special example #14 which is very similar in blade shape to the one in question. This one from Charles seems from Sumatra.
When the handle is indeed not the first one it will be nearby that Roland and we all never will know the exact origin, sadly!

Roland, not all collectors restore their blades in such high quality so it may be difficult to find pictures of similar hardened Indonesian pedang blades.
But Alan give a good insight about this hardening.

Regards,
Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 14th October 2018 at 10:00 PM.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote