View Single Post
Old 12th October 2018, 09:29 PM   #7
A. G. Maisey

Kai, this blade form, and with kembang kacang , is a known Javanese form. I do not know it as a Sundanese form. However, not being there at the time, I do not know where it was actually made. In the final analysis, it could have been made anywhere, but as a known Javanese form, my inclination is to place it as Javanese. If I place it as Javanese, then I appraise it as Javanese.

The tang will be found to be a stick tang, there can be no doubt of this. I have seen and handled more pedangs of the sabet form than I can remember. Where the blade has been in place for a long time, the base of the blade will be flush to the base of the hilt, or it will very slightly penetrate the base of the hilt. This is not design practice that is unique to Javanese weaponry, it is to be found as a universal feature throughout time and place. Ideally a slashing or chopping blade should have a full tang, but where technical limitations in manufacture or economics dictate a stick tang, then the base of the blade must be supported by the hilt. This is weapons design 101.

Still, we all have our own opinions, I have mine, you have yours, I won't debate the subject.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote