View Single Post
Old 27th March 2012, 02:41 AM   #17
KuKulzA28

Nice picture! I have heard many are made of pig skin, but I would guess any sort of leather would do. Interestingly, there's "Ping Pu" (Taiwan's indigenous peopl eof the plains, now largely assimilated) knives that look quite similar to these Chinese fighting knives, and their sheaths are usually cord-wrapped and wooden.

Well, I think part of the reason for their large size is, well, you could get away with it (socially more acceptable?) better back then. Nowadays in many places having a knife well-suited for killing is already asking for trouble - unless it's covert and hidden from view. But to be honest I think in back in the day, in times of peace and in more affluent areas, unless an acceptable or expected part of man's daily attire, weaponry held in the open was usually not acceptable in most cultures... Then again, soldiers, bandits, thugs, and folks from the countryside lived outside the norms of normal urbanites, right?

Plus, for fighting, a big knife has a lot of advantages. You can stab deeper and have a longer cutting edge to cut and slice. As these are very good stabbers, this would make sense. Aside from concealment and surprise, small knives for fighting don't have those combat advantages. They're also pretty sharp - at least mine is, and the edge is good. For utility, a longer cutting edge is always good. Another thought... the handle is very plain in geometry, comfortable and versatile. This knife can easily be in any normal grip: held edge up or down, blade up or down. A very simple design, but pretty effective.

The participation of American cutlers is very cool, I did not know that. But this makes sense... Europe and America had many skilled smiths/manufacturers and they made blades for local markets everywhere... from Indian and African swords to African, Oceanic, and Latin American machetes... and tomahawks, spears, and arrowheads before that for Native Americans.
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote