View Single Post
Old 30th April 2015, 03:28 PM   #5
rickystl

Hi Eley. You have what is commonly known as a Turkish/Ottoman Kubar Pistol. And typical of the style. I would say early to mid 19th Century. The lock and barrel on yours looks like they were locally made. Although there were also locks, barrels, and complete guns that were European made, decorated for local tastes, and exported. But these are some what rare today. As David mentioned, it was preferred to use a separate loading/cleaning rod with these pistols, suspended with a throng around the neck or tucked in the sash. Here is another pic of an original Suma rod. These pistols all have what is commonly called a "false ramrod". They have either a short, thin piece of wood rod, or like yours, a carving on the stock, to give the impression of a ramrod. It is still a mystery why they even bothered to do this. In any case, it was simply a styling exercise. The engravings on the locks, barrels, trigger guards, etc. are usually done in a generic fashion, with simple religious symbols. That might be to offer appeal to a broad spectrum of prospective customers. Overall, many of the styling features of these pistols some what copy the early French style of pistols.
Throughout a 200+ year period there must have been thousands of these pistols made. All one at a time. There is always one or more for sale at the Internet sale/auction sites. And the amazing thing is, unless made as a pair, I've never seen two exactly alike. Very similar, but not identical. Hope this helps. Rick. In the near future, I'll post two of these pistols that were restored to firing condition.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote