View Single Post
Old 30th April 2021, 08:11 AM   #15
estrij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
These letters and numbers are associated with administrative functions in the British Raj, and have to do with 'rack' or issue numbers to whatever regiment, unit, or other type force with which it was issued.
I was unaware of any type of numerals or such markings placed on 'antique' weapons for export (?). This would deface any bona fide antique notably.

Often captured or stored weapons in armories or arsenals would have inventory numbers placed, but it seems usually on the blades. There are not as far as I know any detailed records of these armories or their holdings beyond some which were emptied out in the latter 19th century. Of these huge stockpiles of weapons, some of the more choice were kept for posterity, while the larger volume was scrapped.

The only known marking system was at Bikaner in Rajasthan, and these were stippled numbers and letters in Sanskrit. The only armory that I can recall recorded was at Tanjore and no numbering system was in place.

The styling in this tulwar is 19th century and Rajasthani, and the type of markings were most likely issuance as noted. Possibly a search of the native regiments and the designated names and numbers might reveal.
There were swords stamped with letters like this for something like North Baroda Railway or to that effect, but that is the idea of what I refer to.
Many units in British army native regiments had colloquial terms such as 'Murray's Jat's' and other names they were known by beyond the unit numbers.

I have tried to search for the naming convention for NRA but am unable to find it. Best what I can imagine would be something like Native Rajasthan Army but that would be a guess. Thank you for your explanation.
estrij is offline   Reply With Quote