View Single Post
Old 9th May 2014, 02:24 PM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G
You know, on second thoughts I think it could be the silver fittings from an Omani or Saudi Khunjar put onto a leather scabbard, presumably not in Oman or they would have done it properly. I don't now think the suspension strip is missing; I think it was probably never there, on this scabbard.
Mr Allnakkas and Ibrahim, are you saying the locket and chape are Saudi work, and not Omani? I know many "Habbabi" khunjars have this style of fitting but so does the Omani Khanjar below from The Omani Khanjar thread. How do you tell the difference?. Is it the workmanship or the proportions? I ask because I would like to know.
Beat wishes
Richard
Salaams Richard G Absolutely ..That picture is The Muscat Khanjar "form" see http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14878 #113 of which I wrote;

The Muscat Khanjar
With cloth belt and money container worn on the belt.(often 2) The Muscat Khanjar another example from Ruth Hawleys masterwork Omani Silver.

It is typically made with a TEE shaped hilt and the main body of the scabbard displays the same ring formation as the Royal Khanjar and must surely have been the main influence on Sheherazade who designed the Royal Khanjar hilt matching it to a 7 ringer Scabbard in similar fashion...in about 1850.

I am unable to ID the leather scabbard although A.alnakkas identifies it as potentially Ehsa which I go along with.. The silver work is made in the Asir region but follows the essential geometry of the Muscat Khanjar that must have arrived there by sea trade..and stuck!

The greater of the tricks in ID are deciding which is which and that is even more difficult without the dagger... and in this case when parts only...appear on a non original Asir/Ehsa scabbard beneath...I would go with the flow and having seen the Asir examples plus the leather scabbard it indicates from the Saudia region (previously in Yemen pre 1920) my feeling is that the silver parts are from the Habaabi style...yet as you correctly must be thinking... wheres the proof? The fact is thats all we have ... and like a dead body missing its vital fingerprints and head! we are left with the hypothesis which I hope holds water.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 10th May 2014 at 09:32 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote