View Single Post
Old 29th July 2007, 04:13 PM   #234
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raden Usman Djogja
I have a keris with "pamengkang jagad = the world stretcher [?]". Or if it is not a keris with the world stretcher, it is a keris with "rondo beser". David and Gonjo, please translate to foruminities a word "rondo beser". Personally, I prefer a word "rondo beser" because its dapur/shape is sombro (Sombro is a name of female empu/kerissmith).

Here is the story of my Sombro with "rondo beser"...
Dear Raden Usman,
This is just small additional notes on the specific term of "rondo beser" (widow that too often goes to toilet) you mentioned in your post. The term "rondo beser", is only used in a keris or kerises which have "sogokan" (one of two vertical niches in the sor-soran or the base of a keris). It is called "rondo beser" if the "sogokan" has perforated (not crack, but kind of hole in the sogokan).

If you mentioned "dhapur sombro", it must be a keris which has no sogokan. Thus, the right term is not "rondo beser", but "pamengkang jagat" (crack in the middle of the base of keris, in vertical position...)

Sombro, actually is the name of a female empu of Pajajaran, around 10th century. And not the name of dhapur. The forms of kerises made by "Ni mBok Sombro" (designation of this female empu), usually was very simple. (See Ensiklopedi Keris, Bambang Harsrinuksmo page 439) Keris without sogokan, but some of them (believed) usually has kind of "traces of finger press" along the blade...

Some Javanese people -- according to Bambang Harsrinuksmo -- believed that kerises (many of them with the very simple in form and also in metal material) made by sombro have "invisible power"...

Ganjawulung
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote