View Single Post
Old 25th June 2019, 07:59 AM   #12
kronckew

My Qing Dynasty 'hudie shuang dao' - Pirate swords. mid-18c before they started the double sword bit and they started getting wider and with off centre points like the 'modern' ones.

These are NOT huidi dao 'butterfly' knives as they are singletons instead of a matched pair with half hilts that fit the same scabbard. These have full oval x-section checkered grips and wider brass guards.

The top one is a thrusting version, the slightly longer bottom is a much thicker and heavier cutting one. they are unlike the wotsit. I think the guard shape is coincidental parallel evolution, still think it's a European custom item made to a specific requirement.

I̶ ̶s̶u̶s̶p̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶'̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶s̶h̶i̶p̶'̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶v̶i̶c̶t̶i̶m̶'̶s̶ ̶d̶e̶c̶k̶s̶ ̶a̶f̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶v̶e̶.̶ ̶:̶(̶

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I7lK2wOuZs

I knew I'd heard 'red boats' somewhere. I seem to recall visiting one in Hong Kong...memory fading tho. Red is the colour of good luck and happiness.

Cantonese 'red boats' were Showboata carrying Chinese Opera actors around the areas rivers, bit like the showboats on the Mississippi. They used Kung Fu in their styalised stories.

I made & added the chinese butterfly sword knot because I thought it fit.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 26th June 2019 at 06:23 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote