View Single Post
Old 9th September 2014, 07:34 PM   #12
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
May i disagree or confess that i am in the least confused ?
The zigzag (bamboo shoot ) motives are in low relief and are usual for Asia. This would be one of the common components of a Lantaka decoration .

Of course they are, Nando,

But when they appear on cast-copper alloy barrels (brass or bonze), it is only on items after ca. 1550.

The reason is that they started importing barrels with that zigzag ornament from Nuremberg from the early 16th century. By and by they must have started taking over, and copying, the appearance of those barrels they called lantakas - that "magic" zigzag decoration included.

Very soon, though, their native Indonesian stylistic elements seem to have prevailed, and this, in my opinion, is why you can tell apart an early 16th century barrel from a similar but Indonesia made, within seconds.

Originally, the zigzag ornament goes back to the early 14th century, when it became known as der fränkische Rechen (the Franconian rake), and consequently characteristic of identifying, and representing, the Franconian region by its official coat-of-arms.
Nürnberg has always been the capital of Franconia, as well as the important political, cultural, and economic center.

So this is what that zigzag ornament originally stood for, and was meant to convey to people on far-off continents: the power and unparalleled leading quality, as well as the topic stylistical taste, of all goods that were made in, and exported from, Nuremberg, Franconia.

There was a well-known saying since the 15th century:
"Nürnberger Tand geht in alle Land", meaning: Nuremberg manufactured objects of both everyday use and artwork were exported to the rest of the world - at least the parts known by then.

Attached find two Nuremberg founded brass/bronze haquebut barrels preserved in the Museum of Gerolzhofen, Franconia, that I will introduce in another thread. They both were cast in the 1530's, and one of them is dated 1538 in high relief.
Both show the Franconian rake, as a proof of their Nuremberg manufactured quality.

Could you please point me to a lantaka of such an early date?
I'd be grateful for learning more on their histor.

Best,
Michl

All photos in this post copyrighted by the author, Michael Trömner.

Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 9th September 2014 at 10:49 PM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote