Thread: What is it?
View Single Post
Old 7th September 2021, 05:48 PM   #33
kronckew

My Father-in-law in Alabama had a few apparently very expensive fighting chickens, hens, and a couple roosters. They hunted bugs in the fields behind the house (where the outhouse was) and flew up into the surrounding trees to roost at night. I don't think Melvin (My FIL) was fighting them tho. Probably used to, when he was younger.

Anyway, he used to occasionally put his plowin' mule in that field to trim down the grass. Mules are cantankerous, ornery critters. If you had to use the outdoor facility when the mule was there, you had to watch out, or he'd go for you. He only liked Melvin.

One day the mule got into an argument with the roosters, and he killed and ate them, and started on the hens. (Mules get put in field with sheep/goats to protect them from wolves/coyotes/puma, much cheaper than dogs, and self-feeding - usually on veg tho).

The mule disappeared, and my in-law's freezer had some large hunks of meat in it a few days later. Didn't taste much like beef - I expect it was the missing mule. Melvin liked the chickens more than the mule. The rest of us didn't miss the mule either. Nasty beast.