View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2020, 08:26 AM   #18
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
I understand. Regretfully, I am an "ordinary visitor" and we cannot put images of both hilts side by side to compare their decorations.

I looked at the images of the scabbard cover of the discussion object: the material seems to be a tarpaulin or some other impregnated fabric which is incompatible with old Caucasian origin. Also, it is perfectly intact, without any signs of age-related wear and tear. I have to conclude that it is a modern creation. Would you agree?
Hi ariel,
As I have already stated the scabbard cover appears/is a replacement so there is no argument there. I have in fact removed the covering which which came away very easily, and reveals bare wood. I will likely leave it like this, as it is better than an incorrect dress. It also showed that the suspension ring, throat and the drag were in fact fitted wrong way up. So the blade would in fact have been suspended edge UP as it should be for Caucasian Shashka.
As stated before, my interest is not the scabbard, which may or may not be original to the blade, but the actual sword itself.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote