View Single Post
Old 17th February 2020, 09:09 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k
As of late, I have been looking at several auctions in the U.K. that have war clubs (Fijian, Samoan,etc.), featured and I had thought of possibly bidding on them. I certainly would not bid on any sword or knife that had a bone or ivory component as I am sure that this would cause instant Customs confiscation. I just want to make sure that there aren't any issues with the authorities in regards to rare or exotic woods(i.e. Truffula Tree wood from Lorax), or possible bug infestation problems from old wormholes.
If anyone has any experience with the importation of these items I would appreciate knowing how they fared.
The whole issue of Border Customs behavior is so unpredictable. When importing a lot of stuff during my move to Australia, I encountered widely different interpretations of the rules by different Australian Border Force agents. One guy, a collector of Japanese nihonto, wanted to chat for 30 minutes about collecting before letting me through with a bunch of items, some of which would be characterized as daggers and would have been confiscated by other officers whereupon I would have had to go through a bunch of paperwork to get them back.

Wooden objects were not a problem after inspection. As long as they were "old" and not from prohibited species or obviously infested, they sailed through without any concern. Anything will a collection number on it was barely looked at! If something looks old, is polished or well handled, and shows no evidence of insect damage, you should be fine.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote