View Single Post
Old 15th December 2018, 04:19 PM   #29
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

More interesting notes 'historically' to the contexts possibly involving this dirk is some degree, as well as toward some observations concerning Culloden.
I have always thought that indeed there were considerable numbers of Scots in the ranks of the English forces (it must be noted that the term Scot was used broadly of course for Highlanders, Lowlanders and Islanders).

In "The Myth of the Jacobite Clans" by Murray Pittock (2009) on p,73, there are some interesting notes regarding the ranks of the Jacobites and those of the 'government.
The 'Black Watch' was mentioned (incidentally the term referred to dubh...Gaelic for black, dark, hidden, and that this unit was created after 1725 to patrol the Highland clans, often covertly, watching for subversive activity etc.).
It is noted that the Black Watch was so mistrusted that they were kept in the south of England, but a number seem to have joined the Jacobites anyway (p.73).

It is noted as well that "...the Jacobite cause consistently recruited more adherents in Scotland than the Whig governments.
Apparently among Lord Loudon's forces marching north, all the MacDonalds, MacLeods and MacKenzies deserted and joined the Highland army.
The author notes that "...desertions from the Jacobites to the government are hard to find. The evidence simply does not seem to be there to support the assertion that more Scots were in arms against the Jacobites than for them."(p.73).

Moving back to our dirk in discussion, it is interesting that Culloden took place near Inverness, the area of course that I have noted as that of the unit the inscription may refer to, as well as the founder, a MacKenzie. Perhaps nothing more than coincidental notes...........but it is the kind of thing that studying arms and history is all about.......possibilities.

It is still perplexing that this dirk has all the attributes of an earlier type, yet the inscribed markings are from a much later unit. In looking further into the style I found Charles Whitelaw's "Scottish Arms Makers" (1934 repr. 1977) there is in Appendix 3 his "Origin and Developmet of the Highland Dirk" (1908).
Figures 3 and 4 (p.312) are apparently regarded as the earliest types of dirk, with striking similarity to our example......and in #4 I found a remarkable instance resembling the fixture on our example, however instead of the four posts..."...the top of the pommel has four leaf shaped sinkings".

Such embellishents and designs are often found in Scottish weapons, and in many cases there are distinct symbolisms, however often their meanings have been lost. I recall trying to discover more on such symbolism and talking with Dr. Cyril Mazansky, who was writing his outstanding book "The British Basket Hilt Sword".He said he was focused on typology and was not particularly keen on symbolism.

It would be great to discover more on this curious fixture atop the pommel on this dirk, which seems to have been a very early appendage, and how thie dirk has seemingly become possibly involved so much later in a military setting.

Whitelaw (op.cit. p.313) also refers to the vigorous enforcement of the disarming acts after 1746, and that while weaponry was proscribed, the dirk was considered utilitarian in degree thus somewhat allowed. With this, many of the swords were cut down into dirks (and other tools). In the same plate discussed, fig. 6 has a blade noted as cut down in this manner and very much resembles the blade on our example.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote