View Single Post
Old 11th May 2016, 11:40 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

More kaskaras is a good thing!!!
One thing about these is that they are still pretty much traditional accoutrements which are kept proudly by many of the men recalling their heritage.
This may be an older sword, from the period suggested by Ed, and probably Kassalawi, where production was carried on well into the 20th century.
The 'fly' mark, is one we often refer to as 'the enigma' as we still have not conclusively resolved which possible European marking it might represent.
It is known to appear on much earlier blades (Briggs, 1965) which date back to WWI period. According to references once described by Ed some time ago, he indicated the fly was indicative of a warriors prowess, though not certain the exact mark referred to...it would seem this one.

The scribed markings on the blade are quite modern, and probably added in a commemorative sense.
The moons represent the 'lohr' or prayer panels often seen on earlier in the century examples, many from Darfur (Reed, 1987).
The script may or may not be Arabic, out of my range.

The eagle is the emblem of the Democratic Republic of Sudan 1970-85, representing a secretary bird holding a Mahdist type shield, and alluding to the Arab Eagle of Saladin from the 1950s.

Despite the relatively modern inscriptions and that it is a 20th century sword, these North African swords clearly show that the sword still stands as an important icon of heritage in these countries. I recall once being told by a Fur tribesman I knew, that his father always had his sa'if (kaskara) on the wall, and took it down to hold or wear during important events or ceremony.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 12th May 2016 at 03:13 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote