View Single Post
Old 26th June 2012, 11:58 AM   #18
tunggulametung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
Hello Chandra,
Do you think that this blade is Javanese? I would call the pamor Kul Buntet Tambal?
Regards
Hello Jean, yes I think so, but I'm not well trained to differentiate which part of Java; my wild guess is Jogja (I don't know how it differ from Mataram ) just because I remember that it should look rather slender and pointy-please correct me if I'm wrong, and I don't know if the pamor appearance is valid for the region. I'm trying to speak about style and not origin-and not that tangguh thing to which the more I learn the more I don't care. Why do you ask that? Do you think otherwise (not a Javanese blade)?

Normally I only care about simple pamor (like wos wutah or ngulit semangka), but since you already start it, I would call this lintang kemukus tambal, kul buntet (snail) lintang kemukus (comet) tambal (to patch)-maybe not, or simply dwi warna (two colors/pamor), tri warna (three colors) etc. Also not well trained in the subject so I'm sorry if I name the wrong pamor .

I look at the blade again, I think the sorsoran is rather awkward, some major details are: the upper part of the ganja (guard/cross section) where it meets the blade is rather not well defined (rather concave?, should be undulated and giving a perpendicular feels with the bottom), the greneng, decorations on the back appear to be worn out naturally, but the front details at the elephant trunk area appear to be not, maybe that makes me to think before that the details are somehow less elegant. (I'm sorry Gene if you read this post but you know this is just opinion and I could be wrong of course )

I hope now I look smart with my lengthy post
Attached Images

tunggulametung is offline   Reply With Quote