View Single Post
Old 29th October 2008, 08:06 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

While looking at this unusual piece, I will say that the blade does seem commensurate with kaskara type trade blades of the 19th century, and that these blades of varying type in degree did enter Abyssinia and across the trade caravan systems of the Sahara.

What is interesting is the deep maker/guild stamp at the forte on this blade, which suggests, along with the seemingly present age pitting, that this might well be from much earlier. Although I have not yet checked into resources on markings, these interesting stamped configurations occur on many European blades from 16th century on, though many are degenerated to being even more indistinct with age and wear.

The cross and orb is indeed a European feature often seen on blades of 17th through 18th century, but as noted, this crude inscribed interpretation is clearly native work, and in imitation of that quality inspired European mark.
The script or calligraphy inscribed, I would say may be of Abyssinian form, but again, have not checked resources.

It seems that the stamped marking resembles earlier Italian types, but of course may be Solingen as well, and again, if Abyssinian provenance here, could be from either. The hilt obviously is much more recent than the blade, and appearing interpretive of earlier typology, may well be regalia intended.

A very intriguing sword, well worthy of further research!

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote