View Single Post
Old 17th July 2014, 10:13 AM   #15
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
I bow to your extensive research but I do wonder why you do not quote any sources......................
Salaams Khanjar 1,
As I was explaining ...much of the research on ethnographic arms ~ especially in the difficult to reach arabian regions~is being done without a safety net and precious little supporting documentation of any great accuracy. I am as far away "technically" from the Asir and Al Hasa as you are...it is extremely difficult to visit..or believe me I would be there digging up the examples! So much utter nonsense is recorded... now that ought not to put off Forum research and it doesn't stop me..... Look at the discrepancies inserted into the records by Burton...and as you know once its documented its true...or it takes a lot of reversing...He had Moroccan and North African weapons slated as Zanzibari... !! I digress...but you see my point...

There often isn't a source! I use references some with completely spurious information...like the descriptions in www.Omanisilver.com where I noticed flowers engraved on the back of so called Omani Khanjars..It was your astute observation of the Khanjar in Omani silver by Ruth Hawley that is supposed to be Omani but is actually an Asir or al Hasa job (I'm still not certain). I use web site details all recorded ... I use Museums in Muscat and their huge double volume Richardson and Dorr...which is THE National Museum Doctrine and I know the form of Omani work so when something odd turns up I know its odd. I handle these weapons all the time so I get good at spotting discrepancies and in the case of swords I cracked all on my own the furious trade in rehilts ... which still continues unabated...in fact they sell more thesedays... I think if they stuck fake stickers on they would sell even more..

Just a last note on resources... I am absolutely certain that the best resource built up over the last few years is our own library which is now stacked with the latest doctrine and most updated discussion...even if it does get a little hot at times... thats the point about hot anvils ...They are hot.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote