View Single Post
Old 16th July 2014, 08:23 AM   #10
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Good point ...I think my #18 of that reference indicates Asir... Abha... since the flower tribe weapons all have it. I am not so sure about the al Ahsa oasis. Frankly they are hugely difficult regions to penetrate...and what we have is by sheer hard plugging at it...

It occurs to me that the Flower tribe weapon is copied from the Royal Omani Khanjar whilst the Al Ahsa is copied from the Muscat Khanjar...which as you know led me quite a dance as the cornerstone Omani reference was entirely wrong in that regard... and the other reference so prestigious in all other respects was Omanisilver dot com is very badly wrong....and there are apparently other references which are incorrect.

Abha identity marks.
As well as the UUUUUUU (Which occasionally looks like OOOOOOO)The other marker decoration on the Abha is a floral decoration to the Quba and the flower motif on the reverse as well as an arabic inscription(maker/owner) either on the backplate above the belt or on the back of the Quba...(crown)There are many that appear to have criss coss wiring below the belt, however, to me the big give away is the highly angled scabbard turn.

I dont think enough examples exist from the al Ahsa Oasis quite yet to draw conclusions though I did stumble in and give it a shot...The major differences appear to be hilt related;more examples please...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
I think we need to express some caution here as Oman is NOT NECESSARILY the origin of all other Jambiya/Khanjar shapes or designs. The Yemeni and other Western Arabian areas spawned their own definitive designs and these can be seen described in several modern publications on the subject. These designs also have their own descriptive names depending on the areas of origin. Although the general shape is similar, it can not be IMHO, be firmly attributed to derive from Omani Khanjar types.
As a further matter of interest, the term "Habaabi" does not appear in any of these publications.
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote