View Single Post
Old 1st February 2008, 06:55 PM   #6
Mark

I really don't know if the round vs flattened scabbard tip is a regional variation. The round tip is less common, but not exactly rare. It does go along with the spear, as opposed to the upswept, tip. My assumption is that form follows function with the scabbards, the round tip not being too well-suited for containing an upswept blade. What is interesting about both yours and mine is that aside from the shape of the scabbard, the other elements are fairly standard in design. There are some decorative elements that you see that are definitely Chinese in style, but I don't see those here.

The ovoid grip is a fairly common type, and is even seen on dha-shay. But again, I just don't know if it has any significance other than personal taste.

A dha-hmyaung is an essential accessory in Shan male dress. It is an every-day utility knife, and the degree/costliness of decoration is a reflection of the status of the owner. So even a fancy one like yours would have been worn as an every-day accessory. Dating them is very hard (at least for me). I have yet to find any reliable "tells" for even approximate dates on Burmese weapons, other than the strong likelihood that a sword would have been made either pre-1886 or post-1948 - there was a ban on the making and bearing of weapons during the British colonial period in Burma. We do have some basic stylistic indicators for the age of Thai daab, but nothing comperable for Burma.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote