View Single Post
Old 11th April 2018, 01:37 PM   #3
kai

Hello Séverin,

Quote:
I recently made a madness by buying this Keris without even seeing his blade ...

The sheath, blade and Selut are Bugis style but with a beautiful ivory handle Madura. The patina is very beautiful is the very fine carving.
Yes, very nice hilt, for sure!

Quote:
The blade shows some deep traces of rust. She seems to have been heavily scoured and highly re-sharpened. Unfortunately it seems to have eroded the reliefs of the blade.
The blade is very odd and I hope others will chime in, too!

I'm not convinced that the oddness really is a result of any later re-shaping: Already the sosoran is unusual and this would be tough to change.

Could you specify length, thickness, etc., please?

Quote:
The sheath is partially covered with wire covered with black lacquer below the Toli-Toli. I think it is not original because the opening seems to have been re-cut.
Thread rather than wire? I agree that the fit is weird. Thus, we can't use the scabbard as a pointer nor the hilt with non-matching selut...

it is possible that this wild mix is a genuine combo regardless. However, this would be tough to establish...

Quote:
I have often seen Bugis keris with ivory handles from Madura, it's recent assembly? or is it old assembly?
I haven't seen that many, I believe. (At least not with convincing provenance, I guess.)

How about the patina inside the scabbard?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote