View Single Post
Old 3rd April 2018, 07:04 PM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Alexis, an unique keris indeed. I cannot recall the Merlion ever being used in keris design before and find it a strange choice indeed. As far as i can tell the Merlion is a completely modern and commercial construct. The following passage from Wikipedia discusses it's origin.
The symbol was designed by Alec Fraser-Brunner, a member of the Souvenir Committee and curator of the Van Kleef Aquarium, for the logo of the Singapore Tourism Board (STB) in use from 26 March 1964 to 1997 and has been its trademarked symbol since 20 July 1966. Although the STB changed their logo in 1997, the STB Act continues to protect the Merlion symbol. Approval must be received from STB before it can be used. The Merlion appears frequently on STB-approved souvenirs.
So you have placed a modern "mythological" beast created by a British ichthyologist for commercial purposes (promotion of tourism) on your keris as a replacement for the more traditional seahorses (unduk-unduk). I placed "mythological" in quotations because as far as i know this is a completely fabricated beast with no local mythology actually attached to it. Seems rather spurious to me. Also sounds like you might have transgressed some local legalities since the symbol of the Merlion is still apparently protected by the STB and permission must be granted for its usage. Someone might take this keris for an official STB souvenir.
David is offline   Reply With Quote