View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2011, 10:38 PM   #39
asomotif

Quote:
Please forgive me, but i have lost the direction of this thread.
Sorry, probably the direction got lost because I did not reply yet.
But I also like the pictures that are being posted now. Please continue
Quote:
I think the way some keris hilts are previously fixed (for lefty or right) probably can be seen at the bend of the tang. Some Malay keris will have a slight bend of the tang towards either side of the blade (if you see it from the front of the gandik). Probably to suit a lefty or a right handed person.
@Rasdan
The peksi bends towards the front of the gandik, but unfortunately there is no bend to either side of the blade.

Quote:
The issue you have is that the hilt seems to be sitting a bit too tall. The keris coming from a pre-WW2 collection may not preclude the hilt being switched at some point before it went into the collection. If I may may make an observation, the hilt's finishing is not the same as the sheath's. We could argue that it is because the hilt is handled a lot, and the finishing's all rubbed off
@Bluerf
Correct, the hilt is sitting to tall in right hand position and it fits like a glove in left hand position. The hillt is made of horn (not wood), therefore it has a different finish. In this collection there where a few other weapons also in complete original configuration. (including a peuwarot ) So I am pretty confident that his hilt is original to the blade.

It fits so smooth in left hand position that I really think that it is the original configuration and based on reactions in this thread I will keep it in left hand configuration.

All I need now is a nice matching pendokok.
Any suggestions if this type can be bought somewhere ?
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote