View Single Post
Old 24th March 2016, 11:58 PM   #10
Cathey

Default Sebastian Hernandez ?

Hi Fernando and Ulfberth

I think Fernando could be on to something with Sebastian Hernandez the Elder. I have tried to gently clean the mark and with the naked eye I am confident in the crown and the cross, the number three is also a good fit for what I am looking at. However there is always the risk that now I have the number 3 in mind I am seeing what I expect to see. Unfortunately the previous owner decided to have a gun smith clean the blade and tighten the hilt for me before handing over the sword. Thankfully he did not overdo it but this has probably not helped with the letters in the fuller, which could well be distorted.

If this sword is by Sebastian Hernandez, the time would fit, and perhaps the letters on the blade have nothing to do with the maker, they could also just be a slogan of some sort. Looking at the pictures posted by Ulfberth this sword does have the look or a forerunner to the Papenheimer. This might be an interesting area to explore further.

I do hope Jasper has a look at this post, perhaps he has come across this combination of letters before.

Cheers Cathey and Rex
Cathey is offline   Reply With Quote