Old 18th October 2017, 06:31 PM   #77
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Old 29th November 2007, 07:01 PM

Posted by:
Jim McDougall
EAA Research Consultant

Hi Alan,
Two beautiful sabres!!! Thank you for showing them in full.
I honestly cannot recall the details of previous discussion on the sabre at the top that we are discussing though it does seem familiar. This sword type is basically the English officers backsword/straight sabre known as the 'spadroon'. These were popular from about 1780 until roughly 1820, and are typically characterized by the five beads or balls on the crossguard and knucklebow. While it seems that the style originated in England, it apparantly was loosely adopted in France and in America during the Federal period.

The hilt on yours is quite atypical of those seen on the English spadroons, and the crosshatching on the grip seems to reflect either Polish or French influence. The karabela form pommel portion of the grip suggests the beloved Polish sabres, and Eastern European cavalry fashions profoundly were influencing Continental and English military at the end of the 18th century.

The interesting decorated square panel at the forte also seems to appear on a number of French sword blades of the late 18th century, as well as seen on Polish blades of much earlier. I still have not located the diagonally striated square panel as appears on yours, but seems to correspond stylistically to those I have mentioned.

It would seem your straight sabre/spadroon might well be an English officers of about 1780-90, as these officers were often highly motivated by Continental military fashion. This is of course well illustrated by the styles and weaponry adopted particularly in cavalry regiments in the latter 18th century.

While the identification doesnt really help much with the marking, I just wanted the sword type and period defined to hopefully put more direction to possibilities on the marking.

C'mon guys...we need the markings books!!!

All the best,
Jim

The second sabre is a Napoleonic period yeomanry officers sabre, again, with the ivory grips reflecting the influence of many Polish cavalry sabres.

Last edited by fernando; 19th October 2017 at 10:05 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote