View Single Post
Old 25th December 2006, 09:36 PM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the hint. I will consider that.
Hi David,
Thanks for your good whilling.
However the stock in my piece is "flutted", contrary to the one in the pictures you found. Probably this was a way to lighten up the gun, i don´t know for sure, but it certainly was a fashion used in civilian shot guns of the period, at least over here. However the lock, with a so called swan neck hammer, is rather strong and surely military. For many years the Portuguese fire and edged weapons were influenced by British models, or were even actually British, imported or offered, according to circumstances ( Peninsular war, and so on ). Be it either Portuguese or British, the crown on the lock plate is situated too low to allow for the usual royal monogram below, like GR ( George Rex ) or JPR (Portuguese John Regent Prince ). That is my drama, when i speculate on the lock origin.
Hi Robert,
I had to do some searching. The term Musketoon is not so much seen in Portuguese arms typology. It was used in Brazil in th 19th. century, to define a sort of carbine ( or clavina ), nothing to do with the piece in question. But i see what you mean, when it comes to english lexicon, despite the narrow frontier between blunderbuss and musketoon, so i read in the Net. Anyway and, as you can see, my piece is an atypical one, and was not born in either version, as it was later modified, most probably to become lighter, easier to load, and specialy easier to conceal or carry. Musketoon instead of Blunderbuss, no problem. Actually the straight translation for Musketoon ( Mosquetão ) in continental Portuguese is snap hook.
Kind regards
fernando

Last edited by fernando; 25th December 2006 at 10:05 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote