View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2018, 09:12 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Detlef:

I agree that Leif's daga is a bit older than his estimate, but I don't think it is 19th C. Zelbone, who used to post here, had some interesting observations about this type of sheath with pig skin at the throat and interdigitating segments of horn. Zel thought that this sheath style originated in the 1890s and was particularly common in the 20th C pre-WWII. Unfortunately, his comments were on the old UBB Forum which is now defunct. It is possible that Leif's knife is from the very late 19th C, but I think it is actually from a bit later.

The three wavy-bladed Visayan swords/knives you show are interesting also. For reference I've labeled them A, B, C (see attached copy of your pic).

I think the sword length blade (A) is of Moro manufacture that has been shortened and fitted with a Visayan deity hilt from Panay and a Visayan scabbard.

Example B has a nicely made blade that could be Moro or Ilokano in origin. The terminal tip looks more Ilokano to me.

Example C could be a Moro blade but has definitely had some modifications to the tip to present a more dagger-like appearance.

It is interesting to note that even though these are Visayan pieces, A and B have the luk oriented in the traditional manner for a keris/kris--that is, with the tip of the blade pointing down. Example C has a horizontal orientation of the tip. Sometimes one sees the terminal tip pointing upwards on these Visayan and Luzon pieces. Non-traditional orientations seem to reflect a Western (Spanish ?) influence. Leif's knife has an upward pointing tip.

Leif's blade, with a prominent asymmetric ricasso, looks definitely Ilokano to me.

Ian.
Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote