View Single Post
Old 18th May 2016, 12:30 AM   #7
scinde

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGuy
Pictures of the blade of a 1796 Light Cavalry Officer's sword. Marked on the ricasso with 'Woolley & Deakin Sword Manufacturers to the Hon. East India Company'.
The blade is marked with the crest and motto (Auspicio Regis et Senatus Anglia) of the East India Company.
Hi Robert,

Taking on board the information contained in this thread, I put forward that my understanding of the term "bale mark" is such, that it represents the identification of a merchant, or merchant company in this case the EIC.

The sword you illustrate is marked (etched)with (by definition) a coat of arms; and this representation can be split into six different elements:
1. The shield of arms
2. The supporters
3. The crest
4. The wreath or torse
5. The motto
6. The scroll

Referring to the overall achievement as a crest & motto is not correct; it is a "coat of arms", and the lion 'crest' is only part of the coat of arms however, without a coat of arms there can be no crest.

The crest is only the lion holding the crown; the representation below the lion is the wreath or torse (not simply a line as sometimes described); the crest is described in heraldic terms as:

A lion rampant guardant Or supporting between the forepaws a regal crown proper.

When the crest is displayed in colour, the wreath is coloured alternately using the main metal colour of the shield (in this case it would be silver (Argent)), and the main tincture would be Red (Gules).

The scroll is the object on which the motto is displayed.

My particular area of interest is somewhat later than some of the items under discussion, and much to do with officers swords however, as yet I can definitely say I've not seen a sword bearing a bale mark. Having said that I do have three or four blades with EIC view marks.

Gordon
scinde is offline   Reply With Quote