View Single Post
Old 12th February 2014, 11:53 PM   #10
vogan

Default follow up by Vogan...

David, thank you for your observations. Your point about keris dress is well taken. That is something I always found appealing in the collection of these objects- the ready acceptance that fittings were not necessarily, indeed seldom are, original to the blade.

As time goes by, I find that I value less and less my own subjective responses to the keris. And I tend to wallow in subjectivity due a lack of knowledge. Despite that, I have the utmost respect for the culture and people who produced such a fascinating weapon and cultural icon. The result is that I would prefer to be told, by someone steeped in the history and culture, that such and such keris is an honest production that conforms to traditional patterns and craftsmanship. Something a person brought up in that culture would appreciate and perhaps be pleased to own. That then becomes something I would like to acquire for my collection and wish to have some understanding of.

Alan, sorry to have parsed your words and lost the sense. I appreciate your time. And DaveS, Sajen, and David, thank you for your thoughts.
vogan is offline   Reply With Quote