View Single Post
Old 12th February 2014, 05:18 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Vogan, i believe you are perhaps reading a bit too much between the lines in this case and i wouldn't throw this keris away just yet.
I will allow Alan to respond to your questions about "surface manipulated pamor" as i am certain he will do a much better job of it than i would. In regards to dress i believe Alan's point was that only the higher quality keris are likely to receive a "bespoken" wrongko due to the high cost involved in creating one. There are MANY levels of quality to be found in the keris world, from high royal court pieces down to the simplest village work. IMHO they are all collectible if you have an interest in keris culture and find an example that you like. High level court pieces can cost in the tens of THOUSANDS of dollars. It is no shame that you have not purchased one of those high level pieces in your first go at this on eBAY. In fact, you will NOT find such keris even for sale in that market. Most of our collections are, quite frankly, average level keris. Again, it comes back to the question, does the keris have character and do you like it. If you choose to dismiss all keris that do not conform to the highest levels of expectation you are not likely to build much of a collection.
As i stated before, this sheath appears to have some age to it and given that i would not assume that it was picked up in the market recently to be fitted in a rush by the eBay seller. A great many of us collectors no doubt have a number of keris in our collections with sheaths that are not "tailor fit" to the blades. It is fairly common to find.
On attribution, Bali and Lombok are often thrown together in descriptions. Bali ruled over Lombok for a time and there are a great many similarities to be found between keris from this region. Differences are often subtle and many times you might not be able to tell the difference between one or the other. No real failure on your part there.
Please understand that parts on a keris changing over time is to be expected. Wooden parts like sheaths and hilts wear out long before the blades and are replaced as keris pass from one owner to another. This is not a "contrivance", simply a reality. It is to be expected on any keris of considerable age. This does not mean that we don't sometimes see "dealer specials" that are thrown together with mix & match parts, but i don't think that is the case with your keris. I do still wonder about the age of the hilt, which may have been added by the seller, but it seems nicely made with good materials and visually matches the sheath nicely. I think it need to be turned about 90º around though.
Of course, if you are REALLY still regretting this purchase you can pack it up and send it to me. Not, it's not perfect, but very few things are. :-)

Last edited by David; 12th February 2014 at 08:27 PM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote