View Single Post
Old 10th February 2013, 01:24 PM   #12
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Hi Gene,

Its always interesting to hear about the variety of objects many here collection. I have to admit to being limited in my own collecting to the point of being a bit ridiculous. Letting myself buy a spear likely from the Congo a few weeks ago was a big step! :P I am quite lucky when it comes to the lady of the house - she complained rather loudly when I mentioned perhaps shifting some of the displays out of the study/ now her work room. Perhaps I'll just remove the sharpest ones.

For me any type of craft from a culture I'm interested in is interesting. I'd very much like to get some Nupe brass bowls for instance or Tuareg jewelry.

Returning back to the cigarette box - I too would be interested to see more photos. Forgive my ignorance but the inlay is brass correct?
Hi Iain

LOL, that's how it starts! With one spear

The white metal inlay is of a reasonable silver content and oxidises to a dark grey quite quickly (as is often the case).
The 'gold' coloured inlay doesn't tarnish unless stained by rust from the surrounding metal. So possibly actually gold. Possibly a very yellow maleable copper alloy

If we compare this box, which was clearly made to cater to Eurpean 'colonial' tastes, with an earlier more traditional type the contrast is stark.
The construction of the earlier box is of pieces of indivicually shaped wrought iron (lots of them) held together with carefully recessed handmade screws and brazed seams.
In the close-up picture below of the bottom of the foot, the 'ripples' in the wrought iron and the patterns of crosshatching where the silver koftgari from the underside of the foot has worn away are clearly visible, giving us a tantalising glimpse into the construction of these fine pieces.

Best
Gene
Attached Images

Last edited by Atlantia; 10th February 2013 at 02:16 PM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote