View Single Post
Old 9th November 2018, 01:49 AM   #16
Edster

Jim,

Thanks for the compliment.

Ariel,

I agree that your examples look externally similar to the kaskara. But I've not seen how their grip, cross-guard and blade are joined. Does the C-G have a slot in it that fits over the tang to the top of the blade with two grip scales held in place with the common three rivets OR do they go together like the kaskara with all wedged together by a one piece wooden grip fitted into the C-G hole and supported by the top langets? If the early swords and the kaskara assemblies are virtually the same, I support your view completely.

The inside of the C-G shown as the subject sword is very similar to the kaskara. The quillon profile, materials, and methods of making are not alike, but that's not the point

Say in 1800 or so some shade tree blacksmith in Eastern Sudan had an imported German blade and needed to make a C-G that would secure the three pieces together, he would look for a model that he could adapt to his needs. I believe he would like what the subject sword, contemporary and at hand, presents, forge a likeness from iron, and the prototype kaskara would be born.
He is unlikely to search for an Abbasid relic to copy.

Best regards,
Ed

Last edited by Edster; 9th November 2018 at 02:04 AM.
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote