View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2018, 09:05 AM   #12
kronckew

I post this mostly as a warning. Do not buy these from ebay thinking they are originals. You might get a real one from a reputable dealer, but check the provenances before shelling out a few hundred bills.

I almost bought an ash dowel. I had a carved walking stick I bought for a few pounds via ebay that was narrower than I'd hoped. I stuck it in the socket more to check how the dowel might look. it stopped where you see it and the grip looked right somehow, so I cut the excess wood off, bedded it in resin and it is comfortable and feels like they belong together. the carved swell fits my hand perfectly & as it was a vintage used cane, the grip area was patinated a bit darker and smoother than the rest by it's past and looks like it was made for the head and well used...

I couldn't find any examples of how the originals were hafted, but this was serendipitous. It is of course, a parade/display item, these fancy ones probably were even with the originals from the early iron age. I still wouldn't want to get hit with it. I have seen a reproduction shiny brand new looking one from a company in Australia that had what looked like a dowel handle with a slow twist spiral groove carved in it. Fairly sure it was not 'historic'. Bit over my budget for the whole thing too. see below. Most of my true antique ethnic axes have a bit of a swell at the hand end, or a ball to keep your hand from sliding off.

As purchased (on ebay & very cheaply too) the head had a few shiny golden areas in places where it shouldn't & couldn't have been from wear. After seeing a few just like it for sale cheaply I feel safe it is a fake. I've seen the same ones sold there for silly money.

The bronze head was then cleaned with salt and vinegar to get rid of the thin layer of yucky green cow dung verdigris, then properly 'aged' to the dark brown it is now.

As in all things, CAVEAT EMPTOR! If the deal looks too good to be true, it probably isn't.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 23rd October 2018 at 09:30 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote