View Single Post
Old 8th April 2015, 11:12 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

The schiavona is a fascinating sword and this example seems, as Ulfberth notes, quite well described by the auction folks.
It does seem that this simpler guard pattern is 17th century as later the guard was becoming more complex with addition of the trellis work (gitterkorb). I found a similar guard pattern in a drawing in Wagner (1967) but it was in a grouping without detail. Another article in an article which though rudimentary did show another drawing of one with similar bars on guard as Venice, early 17th c. ("In Search of the Schiavona", Karel Sutt, Knives 2000, 1999, pp52-56).
The brass katzenkopf (cats head) pommel is also indicative of earlier date I believe.
What is intriguing is the use of the cherubim head, an element often seen in Baroque art and perhaps with the symbolism reflecting 'justice'. In many cases the cherubs were seen allegorically guarding the gates of Eden, along with the flaming sword. While the sword was protective and vengeful, the cherub represented hope and mercy. The cherub head is seen in this sense on an 18th century German heading sword with scales of justice.

I think the 'transitional' view here is perhaps attuned to the straight rapier type quillons which are quite contrary to other schiavona hilts, in which the quillons are essentially wrapped inward in the S type configuration or in some versions the hilt is assymetrical with one quillon extended.

The use of cherub head on the trilobite pommel along with these straight rapier quillons in my thinking might extend this sword further to mid century 17th, but in such transitional cases the variation could well be regional or otherwise explained.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote