Thread: Abu Futila
View Single Post
Old 31st December 2016, 03:55 PM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Ibrahiim, these are fascinating guns!
Can you say more on the wrapping of the butt with wolf skin? These kinds of applications on ethnographic weapons are most interesting, and I am wondering more on the origins of such talismanic beliefs.
Thank you for posting these.

Salaams Jim ~ I think it is by co incidence that wolf skin was used for this Talismanic powering up of the Abu Futilla but that when the running wolf appeared on swords it must have been to the delight of swordsmen .. Thus I suspect the wolf skin wrap in giving Talismanic credibility to the firer fitted in nicely with the tradition. The Arabian wolf is certainly feared and respected by the tribes people.

Some Bedu are superstitious, putting great stock in amulets and charms, lucky numbers (odd numbers are usually considered lucky), and spirits. Stones and designs in jewelry are believed to have magical qualities. Triangles, which represent hands, called khamsa , ward off the evil eye, as do blue stones such as turquoise or lapis lazuli; red stones will stop bleeding or reduce inflammation. Children, especially boys, are protected by charms hung around their necks or ankles and with ear studs containing what they believe are magical stones. Animals that prey on the Bedu's herds (such as wolves and wildcats) are considered the embodiment of evil, and in southern Arabia the camel is believed to be the direct descendant of the spirits of the desert. I have also read that the Butt was wrapped in animal skin to stop the Butt catching fire...I prefer the wolf talismanic form.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 31st December 2016 at 06:13 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote